Saturday, July 14, 2012

Homemade Salsa So Good, I Called My Ex-Wife For the Recipe


It's a good thing I get along will with my ex, because I wanted her killer salsa recipe for a work potluck tomorrow. Thanks Bobbi. 

INGREDIENTS:

6 large roma tomatoes
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
3 teaspoons minced garlic
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
1/2 an Anaheim chili pepper, seeded and diced
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cilantro





Before I start, here are a few tips that may help you. A word to the wise: after handling jalapenos, ALWAYS wash your hands before touching your eyes, nose, mouth or using the bathroom, or you will look like this. In my early days of cooking, I made all of these mistakes and paid DEARLY (especially with the the bathroom example).


When chopping jalapenos, I always wear latex gloves. Go ahead, call me a wimp. Say that I am weird. This is all true, but I am NOT going through that type of pain again.


After you cut your jalapeno in half, you may want to remove the seeds and the core if you don't want it to be  too hot. If you do want it hot, then just leave them in. The more seeds you leave in the hotter it will be. 


When cutting tomatoes, I always use a very good, super sharp knife. We have a very nice, razor-like Zwilling J.A. Henckels knife (at the bottom of the picture).  If you don't have something like that, a serrated knife is the next best thing. 



I always cut out the core of my tomato with a paring knife before I chop them up. 

NOW FOR THE RECIPE


This is very difficult. Are you ready? Add all the ingredients into a large bowl. 


Stir it all together. Tough huh? Actually, the hard part is all the chopping. Also, it's best if you let it sit in the fridge over night so that the flavors meld together. You can also do this in a blender to make it quick.








2 comments:

  1. yum. that looks so good! thanks for sharing the recipe -- I'm going to have to make it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try this recipe this week. My hubby Jon loves spicy foods and so does our son, Nathan!

    ReplyDelete